2012-04-20

Frank Gehry: Be Yourself



Frank Gehry is a Pritzker Prize-winning Architect based in Los Angeles, Califonia. He is also a Distinguished Professor of Architecture at Columbia University and teaches advanced design studios at the Yale School of Architecture. His best known works include the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain; Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles; Experience Music Project in Seattle; Dancing House in Prague; and 8 Spruce Street in New York City.

Frank Gehry:
I tell kids and I tell my students that they should not look over their shoulders, they should be themselves and find their own way. They will slowly realize they will become the expert in their work and nobody else is expert in their work and that they will have... and so don't matter what somebody else said. Maybe they won't like it, at least you are still in control and you're the expert in your work. And over time if it's any good it will find it's way into the bigger picture. And it may be Great and not find it's way into the bigger picture, like Van Rohe didn't when he was alive. Who's to say what's good and what's bad in the end so for once only in life. I think that's where you go. You find your own thing, you relate to it, it's your Strength, and you'll have a pretty Good Life. Don't try to look over your shoulder and try and be what the next person is, because you can't be what they are anyway. So, that's what I tell my kids, and I do that myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment